Sunday, June 21, 2020

June 22-26

Hello Kindergarten!

WE MADE IT!

I can't believe this is my last blog post to you!

It wasn't the school year that we all wanted for our children BUT, I think we have all pulled together to make this year the best that it could be.

I am so appreciative of all your hard work.
I am so thankful for all your kind emails.
I am so grateful that I have had your children in my life.
I am so honoured to have been part of your child's first year of school.

And...MOST of all...

I am so PROUD of all our kindergarten kiddos!

Congratulations to the 2018 Kindergarten Class - Mrs. Ziegler's ...

This week we will practice counting by 2's!  
We will also solve some more math problems.  
You've been doing such a great job at solving problems and showing your work with pictures, numbers and words!  
I think we must be ready for Grade One now!

Please click HERE for the weekly schedule.


Day 1
  • Use your 100 chart to show your child what happens when we count by 2's.  We skip every other number!  Colour or highlight the numbers to show counting by 2's up to 20 (or beyond if you like!)  
  • Watch this video to learn about counting by 2's.
  • Here is your math problem for today:
There were 4 frogs in the pond.
3 jumped out.
4 more jumped in.
How many frogs are in the pond now?


Day 2
  • Watch this video and count by 2's!
  • Today's math problem is 'open ended'.

You went to the farm.
You saw some animals walk by and you counted their legs.
There were 12 legs altogether.
Some animals had 2 legs and some animals had 4 legs.
What animals did you see?


Day 3
  • Watch this video and get moving while you count by 2's!
  • Today's math problem is another open ended one!
A toy maker had 13 wheels.
He used all 13 wheels when he made some toys.
What toys did he make?


Day 4
  • Math reflection day!  Your children are true kindergarten mathematicians and they have learned SO much this year.  Today I would love for you to sit down with your child and talk about everything they have learned in Kindergarten math.  Talk about where they were when they started Kindergarten and now talk about the things they can do now!  This year we have:
    • learned to count accurately, make sets of objects and recognize numbers
    • learned to subitize dot cards, dice, dominos and ten frames
    • discovered that numbers can be broken into their parts
    • represented numbers by printing them, showing them on ten frames, using number lines, using tally marks etc.
    • sorted objects in many ways
    • recognized, extended, copied and created repeating patterns
    • experimented with measurement, weigh scales and capacity
    • learned about 3D shapes, how to recognize them, draw them and describe them
    • learned about solving problems in math by acting out the problem and drawing what we have done
    • begun to use mental math by visualizing how numbers are made of their parts and using this information to think about how many more you would need to get to 10
    • started to understand how addition and subtraction work
    • learned that math is all around us and that math is FUN!
  • Now, ask your child to write, draw or tell you 3 things that makes him/her a math superstar!
  • Next ask your child to write, draw or tell you 3 things that he/she is looking forward to learning more about in math in Grade One!
This week Miss Roberts and I will see you at our last google meet.  Details are to come.  


WOW!  We are really ready for Grade One!

Speaking of Grade One...I've graduated to Grade One as well!  After 14 years of teaching Kindergarten I am moving to Grade One.  As many of you know I will be moving to a new school next year.  I will still be close to here at Sunnyside School in a half time position.
Leaving Briar Hill is a very difficult for me.  The staff, the parents and the students all mean so much to me and it is hard to go.  It is especially difficult because I won't be able to give your children a goodbye hug.  However, I hope that maybe one day our paths cross again.  Who knows where we might run into each other...the zoo, the park, the pool...I see former students everywhere I go!  I sure hope I see you!  Please always come to say hello if you spot me somewhere...there is nothing more rewarding to a teacher!

I wish you all the most wonderful and relaxing summer and the best of luck in Grade One!

Thank you for giving me the true honour of being one of your children's first teachers.  Your child has a place in my heart forever.

💖 Mrs. Seddon 💖
Clipart Teacher Teaching Kid - Clip Art Teacher Hugging Students ...




No comments:

Post a Comment